idl compilation problems

Niclas Eklund Niclas.Eklund@REDACTED
Mon Jul 22 17:24:33 CEST 2002

Hello!

This is a known "problem". Initially it wasn't possible to divide
module-definitions into several IDL-files. What you should do is to put
typedef, struct, union and exception definitions in one of the IDL-files
or create a 'DataType'-module.

- "Why can't IC open an existing file and add new definitions?"

 The generated files may, for example, be created in different
 directories or old files, which should have been removed, exists.

To continue to be compatible with older versions it was not possible to
change this.

If we have:

module A {
  module B {
    struct Pos {
      double x; /**< x-coordinate */
      double y; /**< y-coordinate */
      double z; /**< z-coordinate */
    };
  };
};

...compiling test1 before test2 yields an empty A.hrl.

In this case we could skip generating the hrl-file when compiling
test1.idl. But, since the hrl-file may be included in a module or added to
a Makefile, even though it's empty, changing this could cause problems.

/Niclas