Erlang killer app?,

Francesco Cesarini francesco@REDACTED
Sat Jul 20 23:09:12 CEST 2002

To give my two pennies to the discussion. Telecom systems'
characteristics include:

* Distribution
* Fault Tolerance
* Massive Concurrency
* Soft Real Time
* Non Stop (For Upgrades / Patch Installation / Crashes)

Those are the characteristics Erlang has inherited, and thus, it is
suitable to solve most problems in domains exhibiting those
characteristics.

When bluetail released its first product, Erlang certainly did not have
name recognition for the domain of problems it was solving. They were
first out using it in a suitable domain, and cashed in on it. Many other
start ups are now doing the same, but in other areas.

In my 9 years of working with Erlang, I have seen it used with great
success in simulations, computer telephony integration, products for
ISPs, games, 3d modellers, distributed database applications, all
without any recognition in those area, as it was a language only used
for embedded telecom control systems. What these non telecom application
developers were able to do, however, was use the 5 - 10 fold increase in
productivity to improve their time to market and at the same time easily
integrating characteristics such as code upgrade and salability during
runtime, high availability which were previously unheard of or hard to
solve in those domains.

One of the great strengths of the language is the ability to quickly put
together a working prototype. If you are looking at using Erlang in a
new domain (e-commerce systems sound exciting) but are unsure, test your
ideas. Design errors, limitations, and flaws should show up at an early
stage of the development when it is still possible to stop and reverse
the baby elephant... If your hunch is right, you will have a working
prototype to show and convince higher management. This strategy has been
used time after time when Erlang was competing against hundreds of
documents describing how the problem could be solved using other hyped
technology.

Regards,
Francesco
--