gen_server, gen_tcp question

Francesco Cesarini francesco@REDACTED
Wed Jul 17 10:22:21 CEST 2002

Hi Eric,
welcome to the world of Erlang.

I assume the problem you have stumbled across is the usage of gen_tcp in
passive modes, making your gen_server hang until receive the request.
(The same applies to receiving data). You will be hanging, and thus
unable to handle code upgrades or other requests sent to the server. You
could use the timeout, but that will generate an unnecessary overhead.

Your solution is to spawn a process (Not following any behaviors), which
hangs in the call gen_tcp:accept/1 waiting for a connection request.
Make sure this process is linked to your gen_server. When you receive a
request, make your gen_server the controlling process and receive your
packages in active mode using the handle_info call.

Should you want to implement code upgrades, make sure you set the
timeout to a very low value. This will kill your listener process. Just
make sure you respawn it after the upgrade.

Hope the above helps. Good documentation on OTP design principles is at
http://www.erlang.org/doc/r8b/doc/design_principles/part_frame.html .

Mickael Remond & I wrote a paper on the "non" usage of OTP outside
Ericsson you might find interesting. You can read about at
http://www.erlang-consulting.com/euc2001/index.htm

Good Luck,
Francesco