Yaws API discussion

Mickael Remond mickael.remond@REDACTED
Tue Jul 16 19:32:10 CEST 2002

Eric Merritt <cyberlync@REDACTED>:

> Mickael,
>

> I believe that the problem you are having stems from a
> core problem with the paradigm yaws has adopted. Yaws,
> like PHP and JSP Scriptlets, is founded upon the idea
> that actual logic should be embedded in the html page.
> This is a bad thing(TM). It limits scalability of the
> application by quite a bit. I am not refering to
> scalability in terms of speed or performance, but to
> scalablity in terms of application size,
> reliablity/maintenance, and extensablility.
[snip]

I think that you are mixing two kind of problem here. The MVC model you are
talking about is dealing with framework/approach to organize your application.
The template problem is about choosing a elegant formalize to describe the way
to generate the dynamic final HTML code that the user will receive on their
browser when they connect on the site.

MVC is often seen as a good approach to organise application logic.
On the other side I consider that there is no widely accepted answer to the
templating aspects. There are many different approach that are a trade-off
between flexibility and efficiency.
By the way an original approach of templating system can be found in Zope
(http://www.zope.org/Documentation/ZopeBook/ZPT.stx). I am still not convinced
yet that this approach is good but at least people are exploring new way of
producing HTML.

My point is that the Erlang community tends to find simple clever and
straightforward answer to many common problem and that I wondering what would
resort in such a debate.
Maybe the dictionary aproach is the best (I am also still not sure yet because I
tend to think that the templating issue is very sensitive, non trivial and most
of the time a matter of taste).

My only purpose is to collaboratively explore the web templating question and
try to constructively propose interesting things.

--
Mickaël Rémond