Beginner help with distributed Erlang

Alex Peake apeake@REDACTED
Mon Jul 15 00:04:13 CEST 2002

I am just starting to try distributed Erlang.

I am in the Windows 2000 world. I have two machines in a domain (FEY).

On machine 1 (the server) called predator I start Erlang:
erl -name predator
I get:
(predator@REDACTED)1>

So far so good (I think).

On machine 2 (the client) called functional I start Erlang:
werl -name functional
I get:
(functional@REDACTED)1>

OK so far (I think).

I try:
net_adm:names(predator).
and get:
{ok,[{"predator",4888}]}

which I think is OK (4888 is what I get over on predator for net_adm:names().

Now when I try from functional:
net_adm:ping('predator@REDACTED').
I get pang, and I see on the predator screen:
** Connection attempt from disallowed node 'functional@REDACTED'

I tried the sample banking example from the book (chapter 6) and of course receive similar

I tried (on the server):
net_kernel:allow('functional@REDACTED').
and get:
ok

However, I still get the same:
** Connection attempt from disallowed node 'functional@REDACTED'

Can someone help me please? What am I missing?

Alex