design question

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Wed Jul 3 10:42:07 CEST 2002

Hi all,

I have a design decision to make and I feel it would be beneficial with some
more and qualified opinions.

The data structure is an ordered set of entities (=regions), with rather
heavy cross-referencing between them. Each is related to an owner process
and messages will go between the regions (conceptually).

The first idea was to implement the regions as own processes, because the
design is clearer and seems to be easier to see what's going on. On the
other hand, it would be somewhat more difficult to debug and there are quite
a lot (hundreds) of these regions alive (although not more than a few active
at a time).

The other solution is to implement a manager process that will handle the
message passing on behalf of the regions. The handling of the data woud be
more complicated, though.

It isn't easy to switch between the paradigms, so I thought I'd try to
choose before starting. I don't have experience with systems with that many
long-lived processes running, so I am not sure how the system would behave
with some 100's of regions and some tenths of owners...

I look forward to hearing *your* opinion! Thanks!¨
Best regards,
Vlad