report browser and error_logger

Ulf Wiger etxuwig@REDACTED
Wed Jan 9 17:48:25 CET 2002

On 9 Jan 2002, Hal Snyder wrote:

>I think I am missing something obvious.

I don't think so (at least I wouldn't call it obvious). ;)

>The error_logger looks like a very useful thing for tracking
>events in OTP and in one's own applications.
>
>I think the way to use it is thus:
>
>  - add the sasl app to your .rel file
>  - tune error file settings by setting sasl_error_logger,
>    error_logger_mf_dir, and so forth in your .config file
>  - write messages with error_logger:error_msg/1 and
>    error_logger:info_msg/1
>  - view results with rb: commands
>
>1. Is the above typical in real OTP apps?

Yes, pretty much.

>2. Is it common to use rb: interactively (not just start_log to
>a file) in a production environment? If so, how?
>
>Surely you don't leave an erlang shell open on a production
>node. (I suspect that most production nodes run erl ....
>-detached.)

We use start_erl and to_erl.
http://www.erlang.org/doc/r8b/doc/embedded/embedded_solaris.html#1.4

If you start rb from your "remote shell" (the one you opened with
Ctrl-G from another node), you should get printouts to the right
shell.

>But, the interactive commands in rb: write to tty. So, in order
>to run them, you need an erlang shell on the node in question.

Copy, or export, the sasl logs, and run rb against the copy in a
fresh erlang node.

/Uffe