Erlang and asn.1

Per Bergqvist <>
Wed Jan 2 12:13:20 CET 2002

Hi Segio,
Put your ASN.1 definition in a .asn file and run it through the ASN
i.e. erlc MyDefs.asn
This will generate encoder and decoder logic in Erlang.
To decode a BER encoded record of MyType:
Please not that the ASN compiler does not (at least did not prior to
R8) support all ASN.1 constructs.
Please let me know if you run into any problems.
> Hi,
> I am just about to discover erlang and ASN.1. I have a special need
> am wondering if erlang is able to solve my problem: we receive BER
> encoded (according to a well defined ASN.1 grammar) files (called
> "enc_file") and I will need to decode them.
> Where do I start? So far I have managed to compile the ASN.1 file
> have a module that provides encode and decode routines.
> I have read the documentation but this did not bring me any further.
> How do I decode file "enc_file", do I have to define my own decoding
> logic or do there exist out-of-the box tools?
> Any hints will be greatly appreciated.
> I nearly forgot to wish you a Happy New Year!
> Sergio da Silva
Per Bergqvist
Synapse Systems AB
Phone: +46 709 686 685