R8B-0 devpoll patch

Per Bergqvist per@REDACTED
Thu Feb 28 06:10:30 CET 2002

[snip]

> Unfortunately not all files support kqueues. Pipes, fifos, regular
files
> sockets and ttys, as well as processes and signals, are supported,
but more
> weird devices like usb stuff, audio, radio, etc. are not supported.

Eventpoll in Linux has exactly the same problem. For this reason
I added poll support to the /dev/epoll device itself.
By doing that I can have a smaller result with "weird" files on
which I actually call poll(). If readiness is indicated on the
eventpoll file descriptor I do a EP_POLL to get the actual
events.

Would it be possible to multiplex with kqueue in a similiar way ?

> I know
> that NetBSD is aiming for full support (everything that supports
select will
> also support kqueue) and as soon as I have some more time I will go
for
> full support in OpenBSD (possibly even going as far as making
select(2) and
> poll(2) into wrappers around kqueues). But that's worth thinking
about.

Even better.

/Per