p2p summary (kind of)

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Thu Feb 14 11:36:58 CET 2002

><ranting mode on>
:-) nice to see someone really feeling for an issue!

>No the existing ones are crap :-) - Gutella is like wandering into a random
>room in a random town in a random country and shouting at a random group of
>passers by "has anybody got a fish"

TRUE! but for only 20 peers, it works fine!

>I've been thinking about the "discovery protocol" for some time - and
>the answer is ..... "Dewey"

Doesn't that cost money? I'm not even sure if they have a licensing
programme yet (but I suppose the interest exists).

>How do you find info in the p2p system - by *carefully* probing the peer
>group and asking the right questions - by building catalogues and
>maintaining trust neworks (do I believe this information)

Absolutely!!!

>JXTR says "Info is keyed by ten zillion bit (random) globally unique
>identifiers."

And Dewey says "Info is keyed by ten milion decimal digit hierarchical
identifiers". Is it such a big difference?

>But that *basicaly* is what JXTR is (at the most primitive level) - with
>not even a hint as to HOW you go about finding the meading of the GUIDs.

The advantage of UUIDs is that you can have one for exactly YOUR red Volvo
S40 car's driving wheel, or something. Using Dewey, you can at most get a
reference to any driving wheel, and link it to a reference to Volvos and to
yourself as the owner...

>No my infrastruce will use the dewey decimal system - and I will keep data
>bases of who knows what and how reliable the information is

Personally I think it is an internal matter. Applications should not have to
see those identifiers at all. A naming service should take care of that, in
either case. A DNS for the universe, maybe? :-)

>That feels better :-)

Good!

>Erlang is a programing language - PLs don't scale up!

I meant the Erlang distribution mechanism. Is it correct now?

>I am building such an infrastructure NOW - hope to post by end of next week

Looking forward to it! I will start with more concrete stuff myself too.

> > -- routing and gatewaying: ...
>Smile :-) - we gould you segiography and communicate with gifs of yellow
>bananas on port 80 :-)

:-) No, but send the erlang messages over http as binary/octet-stream, if
the receiver is behind a firewall.

>No not at all - I babble with you - I plan to register a new domain name
>and host a myp2p.org (or whatever) at SICS with an Erlang P2p
>infracstructre real soon -

Wonderful!

regards,
Vlad