SNMP vulnerability

Ulf Wiger etxuwig@REDACTED
Wed Feb 13 17:44:13 CET 2002

Well, I'm not sure about the "did not waste resources" part. ;)

It seems as if the snmp agent pretty prints an error message
upon a decoding error. For some of the PDUs, this message can
become quite sizeable, e.g. after a badarg on
list_to_binary(LongBadList).

I think the appropriate thing to do for a protocol handler is to
_optionally_ log invalid messages in the cheapest way possible
(using e.g. disk_log). This is simple enough to fix.

Try the following for grins (not entirely accurate, but close
enough):

1> L = lists:seq(1,256).
[1,
 2,
 3,
 4,
 5,
 6,
 7,
 8,
 9,
 10,
 11,
 12,
 13,
 14,
 15,
 16,
 17,
 18,
 19,
 20,
 21,
 22,
 23,
 24,
 25,
 26,
 27,
 28,
 29|...]
2> Reason = (catch list_to_binary(L)).
{'EXIT',{badarg,[{erlang,list_to_binary,
                         [[1,
                           2,
                           3,
                           4,
                           5,
                           6,
                           7,
                           8,
                           9,
                           10,
                           11,
                           12,
                           13,
                           14,
                           15,
                           16,
                           17,
                           18,
                           19|...]]},
                 {erl_eval,expr,3},
                 {erl_eval,exprs,4},
                 {shell,eval_loop,2}]}}
5> snmp_error:user_err("failed encoding message only(pdu: ~p,
community: ~p): ~p~n", [L,"public",]).
ok
6>
=ERROR REPORT==== 13-Feb-2002::17:15:32 ===
** User error: failed encoding message only(pdu: [1,
                                                  2,
                                                  3,
                                                  4,
                                                  5,
                                                  6,
                                                  7,
                                                  8,
                                                  9,
                                                  10,
                                                  11,
                                                  12,
<lots and lots of output snipped>

(In general, someone should come up with a nice way to protect
against io:format()s or crash reports with huge information
payload.)

Running this on an embedded system with start_erl and to_erl (and
to_erl activated which means I/O gets directed to both screen and
disk) on a Solaris system (seemingly slower I/O system than
Linux, and no graphics accelerators), might cause some
disturbance.

/Uffe