How to 'bypass' the receive timer

Per Bergqvist <>
Sun Feb 10 08:43:37 CET 2002

Lennart Ohman wrote:
> it sounds to me that what you want to do is to start a set a timer
> in the timer process for each handled message which will be followed
> a second message. Look in stdlib for timer.
> timer:send_after(Time,MessageIWillGetBack) for instance. If you get
Note that timer:send_after does not scale well.
It will give you problems if you have many concurrent sessions.
Use erlang:start_timer instead.
In my opinion the only meaningful function in the timer module is
exit_after. At least I view the other functions as backward
compatibility code, and try to avoid use the timer module.