Mapping processes

martin j logan martin@REDACTED
Tue Dec 17 23:26:28 CET 2002

Eduardo,
   When I first started using erlang I also had this idea.  I went so
far as to implement it. I spent about an hour trying to figure out what
clever construct I had come up with in order to fool the garbage
collector so completely and cause such a nasty "memory leak". The thing
is that the first argument to register must be an atom so you must
convert reqID to an atom. I found out after a bit of research that atoms
are not garbage collected, they are stored in a table for the life of
the system. So in the interest of helping a fellow erlanger avoid such
folly as I engaged in let me say that you should not ever dynamically
create atoms in any situation that is not garaunteed to be finite. I
typically use an ets table, loop data/dict, or some such to store
mappings. This is coupled with some facility to remove the processes
when they die. In this manner you can nicely achieve the same
functionality.

Cheers,
Martin