Message Routing Paradigms

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Fri Dec 13 17:08:03 CET 2002

Eric,

There is the EVA application within OTP.  I'm sure it's not what you
are looking for but is an example of "middleware" for messaging in an
Erlang/OTP system.  The gen_event behaviour is a lower level building
block.

The language itself provides transparent distribution, named processes,
handling of mailboxes and other difficult aspects of message passing.
To go further brings you pretty close to the actual application context.

We do this sort of thing all the time.  A marshalling process is created
(from a gen_server) which is the destination for all messages in a certain
application context and that marshalling process makes the decision as to
which of the (probably gen_fsm) processes the message should be routed to.
The added functionality is that these destination processes don't need to
exist at the time the first message is sent but can instead be spawned by
the marshall.  Also we can prequalify the messages and discard/nack them
at that point.

	-Vance