Impressions of Mozart-Oz

Bijan Parsia bparsia@REDACTED
Mon Dec 9 16:04:35 CET 2002

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Peter-Henry Mander wrote:

[snip]
> It would seem to me that Mozart suffers the same problem as almost all
> Functional/Logic programming languages, in that it originates and will
> probably remain in academic circles.

Just like to note that Prolog long ago moved into industry, has several
commerical vendors whose sole business is selling their implementation
(well, and consulting, training, etc.). OTOH, XSLT is a fairly pure
functional programming language. There are probably more XSLT programmers
than all the rest of the functional programming language programmers,
including Erlang.
[snip]

This isn't to say that Erlang doesn't rule. It does. :)

I do agree with the overall points that Erlang has a very good balance of
very useful simplicity and functionality (in the language itself) and a
great set of applications. To these I add that it has enough real
experience out there to have developed a useful set of "design patterns"
and methodologies that fit in well with the language/library features (all
this is clearly the result of iterative design with a fine feedback loop).
The applications generally exhibit the design patterns in a lucid way,
which makes it easy to get into the swing of things.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.