Design phase in Erlang

martin j logan martin@REDACTED
Fri Dec 6 00:15:19 CET 2002

Eduardo,
    I think that one of the things that takes the longest to come to
grips with when learning erlang is that a process is EXTREMELY
lightweight. It takes only a scant few microseconds to spawn one. This
fact and a few others, efficient messaging and no shared data, make it
possible to really program with concurrency in mind. You should thus
endeavor to model your problems in erlang with processes as the primary
abstraction. The rule set forth by one of the "erlang guru's", I'm not
sure who, is one process per truly concurrent activity in your system.
By adhering this paradigm it is possible to elegantly reflect a problem
with your code. As always "make it work, make it beautiful, make it
fast(if you really have to)". So my advice in a nut-shell use a process
per client request because that seems to be the correct granularity for
modeling your problem. This will make your code infinitely more readable
and maintainable than a "preemptively fast" single process approach.
After doing so if you don't get the performance that you need, go ahead
and re-factor the code.

Cheers,
Martin