Mnesia table events

Dan Gudmundsson dgud@REDACTED
Fri Aug 16 10:14:01 CEST 2002

Sivakumar Krishnasamy writes:
 > Hi Dan Gudmundsson,
 >    Thanks for your reply.
 >    What will happen if I subscribe for table events on both the nodes (a@REDACTED, a1@REDACTED), but perform replicated table operations in a@REDACTED ?.
 >    Will the events be distributed to both subscribed processes in a@REDACTED and a1@REDACTED ??.

Yes

 >      Node A                                                 Node B (A1)
 >      (a@REDACTED)1> mnesia:start().                               (a1@REDACTED)1>  mnesia:start().
 >       ok                                                            ok
 >
 >      (a@REDACTED)2> mnesia:change_config(extra_db_nodes, [a1@REDACTED]).
 >      {ok,[a1@REDACTED]}
 >
 >      (a@REDACTED)3> mnesia:create_table(a,[{ram_copies,[a@REDACTED,a1@REDACTED]}]).
 >      {atomic,ok}
 >
 >      (a@REDACTED)4> mnesia:subscribe({table, a}).            (a1@REDACTED)3>  mnesia:subscribe({table, a}).
 >      {ok,a@REDACTED}                                                          {ok,a1@REDACTED}
 >
 >      (a@REDACTED)4> mnesia:dirty_write({a,1,1}).
 >          ok
 >
 >      Note: So performing table operation in a@REDACTED creates an event and it is captured by the subscribed process in a1@REDACTED Am I right ??

Well, the event(s) are created locally on the node(s) when data is
written (or deleted), conceptually that the same thing.

 >      (a@REDACTED)5>                                                   (a1@REDACTED)4> flush().
 >      Will I get event here too??                         Shell got {mnesia_table_event,
 >                                                                         {write,{a,1,1},{dirty,<127.32.0>}}}

Yes, if you had subscribed to events on a@REDACTED

If you connect a third node (a2), but don't create a replica of
table a on a2, then you can't subscribe to the events of table a.
You can still read and write data from that node (a2). Events
will be generated on the nodes with an replica.

/Dan