Mnesia fragmentation

martin logan martinjlogan@REDACTED
Fri Aug 16 02:06:28 CEST 2002

Hello All,

I would like to preface this by saying that this question is not about
telephony, so all those who read the first sentence and turn away, please
keep reading.

I have a call detail record collection system for a sip platform that needs
to be monitored. The system has a non fixed collection of nodes that exist
as state servers for all calls existing on the platform. I must be able to
accuratly monitor calls on these servers. This task is complicated by the
fact that servers are going to be hosting thousands of calls at any given
time. The high volume of data and the high write to read ratio militates
against efficiant standard mnesia replication. I need to come up with a
system wherein I can veiw all of the servers as a single resource
independent of the location of the various server instances. I was thinking
that fragmentation would be the solution. Ideally each server would write
all of its data to its local fragment but when queries are performed the
table is treated as a whole. Perhaps I have missunderstood the purpose of
fragmentation. It seems to me that without control over the fragments that I
could incur a network hit on every write. This is obviously preferable to a
full mesh of fully replicated mnesia nodes but still not adiquate for my
system. If anyone out there has experiance with this type of problem please
let me in on your solution.

Thanks alot,
Martin