Changing Code

Sean Hinde Sean.Hinde@REDACTED
Tue Aug 13 00:29:57 CEST 2002

> Don't some OOP languages support the concept of "sealed"
> classes and methods, and the compiler can use that information
> for optimization?
>
> (I'm trying to remember a few years back when I read
> something on Dylan, but that was some time ago).
>
> I think I agree with James Hague; it would be nice if modules
> could be tagged as such and the compiler could do whatever
> it wants using the information.

This is quite an interesting angle, prompting more thought. We have never
yet replaced "just one module" of any of the OTP libs. Partly because we
have no wish to affect our support agreement, and actually also because we
have only once ever had a need to..

So if there were a way to make the optimisations unidirectional - we could
still replace our own stuff one module at a time but the OTP stuff was
optionally "sealed" then that would be all for the good (so long as the
speed benefits were still realised).

Sean

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER: