Bengt Kleberg <>
Mon Apr 29 12:33:32 CEST 2002

> From: Sean Hinde <>

> > Peter H|gfeldt <> wrote:
> >

> > Coming from a Prolog background, it never ceases to amaze me why
> > the Erlang compiler (and experienced Erlang programmers) insist
> > on having singleton variable warnings turned off...
> Could it be because they are almost undocumented? All I could find was a
> mention in the compiler release notes and an entry in erl_lint (which I have
> never even opened before, and probably wouldn't if it didn't appear in a
> documentation search on "warn_unused_vars")
> Perhaps R9 will bring a list of ALL useful compiler flags into the COMPILER
> documentation.

an inexperienced user is the kind of person that will benefit most from
compiler warnings. aforementioned inexperience makes this the least
likely person to be able to turn them on.

compiler warnings should be turned _on_ by default

experienced programmers that know what they are doing can turn them
off when needed.