Shock horror

Thomas Arts thomas@REDACTED
Mon Apr 29 12:24:55 CEST 2002

Joe Armstrong wrote:

>    Complexity Shock Horror ....
>
>    I have found to my horror and amazement that that our beloved
> Erlang system is far more complex than it should be ...
>
>    ... it all started  when I started reading systools.erl ...
>
>    Warning -  timid souls  should not read  on for  this is a  tale of
> horror that will chill your very entrails and make you doubt your sanity

I was brave enough to scroll...

>   During the writing, thereof, I discovered that there were not only a
> large number of singletons (I had hoped that I had stumbled across the
> only one) but also a large number of "nollitons" - exported functions
> that *nobody* calls.
>
>   For your edification and delight, the numbers are:
>
>    #exported functions = 8148
>    4632 functions do not need to be exported (nollitons)
>    2225 functions can be moved               (singletons)
>    1291 functions cannot be moved
>
>  Pretty stinky stuff, ej wot.

But not the nollitons. If you write a library, you write it for the
nollitons! Users are going to call these functions.
calender:date_to_greorgian_date/1 may be a nollition, it is supposed to
be that.

Thus, the concern are the nollitons and singletons not in the manual
pages, they are the really uglies... You are not going to tell me
that you checked all manual entires for the 8148 functions, did you?

Cheers
Thomas