Erlang language issues

Bengt Kleberg eleberg@REDACTED
Thu Apr 18 13:20:13 CEST 2002

> From: "Fredrik Linder" <fredrik.linder@REDACTED>

> Are there no tools for extracting comments from C++ code? If Erlang uses the
> same comment syntax as in C++, then one should be abel to use those tools.

is it a good thing to be able to extract comments? i see the need
for/use of tools like edoc, but simply extracting comments?
perhaps there is a c++ tool that does what edoc does, and would be
possible to use directly, if comments changed in erlang?
that would be a good thing. there is not a lot of code written for
edoc, and new code would use the style mandated by the c++ tool
instead.

> And what is the actual cost? Slightly altering the pre-processor?

i must admit that i never consider changes in the compiler as a cost.
mainly since i will not do it. i was thinking of the headache i would
get from reading source with different style comments. and while teching
people erlang, having to explain the different possiblities.

> When we're at it, why not convert to C++-style completely, issuing a warning
> when % is used!
> Seriously, I think we'll have to live with %...

if we have to live with %, why make things more complicated by having
an alternative?

bengt