Problems with starting/stopping applications

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Tue Apr 16 01:47:57 CEST 2002

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 11:37:58PM +0100, Leonid Timochouk wrote:
}  Hello Erlang users,
}
}  In Erlang/OTP R8B on Linux, I have noticed the following two problems:
}
}  (1) It is NOT possible to start applications by using the "-s"
}      or "-run" command-line parameters in "erl", like

The problem would appear to be with starting "applications" and not that
-run is broken.  I do see that when I try to start an application it doesn't
work:

$ erl -run application start sasl
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.1.1 [source]

Eshell V5.1.1  (abort with ^G)
1> application:which_applications().
[{stdlib,"ERTS  CXC 138 10","1.10.1"},{kernel,"ERTS  CXC 138 10","2.7.2"}]

The SASL application doesn't show up in the list.  Did this work in
previous releases?

}  (2) Similarly, calling
}
}      init:stop ()
}
}      from the Erlang shell shuts down all applications and then terminates
}      the "beam" emulator, as it should be. But if the same function is
}      invoked from within some working process, it only shuts down all
}      applications but does not terminate "beam" itself.

This works though:

$ erl -run init stop
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.1.1 [source]

Eshell V5.1.1  (abort with ^G)
1> $

:)

	-Vance