Compiler bug

Hal Snyder hal@REDACTED
Fri Apr 12 19:37:31 CEST 2002

Chris Pressey <cpressey@REDACTED> writes:

> As for short-circuiting, you shouldn't have to think about it in
> referentially transparent code, and (for me at least) it's fairly
> rare that I have to think about it in side-effectful code either...

Will stick in my oar (warning: bikeshed issue).

I'm totally accustomed to short-circuit boolean ops and was somewhat
disappointed on seeing Erlang's initial ones not do so. Isn't the
biggest win with short-circuit eval that it becomes easier to code two
tests, for which the second makes sense only when the first has a
certain outcome - for example 1) is x nonzero? 2) something about
foo/x.

Which reminds me, I wish Erlang had elsif, or cond. Did anything come
of http://www.bluetail.com/~rv/Erlang-spec/Proposals/cond.shtml?