process pools? (pool_server)

Pascal Brisset pascal.brisset@REDACTED
Thu Oct 11 14:44:31 CEST 2001

Sean Hinde writes:
 > We also find ourselves writing this "behaviour" quite often (though without
 > many of the nice features you describe here). Is this something which might
 > be abstracted from your proprietary code and contributed to the erlang
 > community (perhaps as the first of a growing pool of new R8 behaviours)? It
 > would certainly be a valuable addition to the contribs site.

I definitely agree that a distributed platform like OTP should offer
some kind of generic load-balancing mechanism in addition to all the
nice monitoring/supervision/upgrade features.

You can test pool_server at http://www.cellicium.com/erlang/contribs/ .
We might do a more formal release later this year.

Comments are welcome. Just don't complain about the use of process
dictionaries; we know it's bad, but it's faster than anything else.

-- Pascal Brisset <pascal.brisset@REDACTED> +33(0)141986741 --
-- Cellicium | 73 avenue Carnot | F-94230 Cachan +33(0)685110788 --