help with CosNaming

Niclas Eklund <>
Tue Nov 13 15:13:19 CET 2001

The most probable reason why it fails is that the two Orber-ORB's use the
same domain-name (default it is "ORBER"). Easily checked by invoking on
both ORB's:

erl> orber:info().

Hopefully you are using the latest ORB (at least a R7B-ORB). If so you
should use the Interoperable Name Service, especially since it's
compatible with other ORB's supporting the same standard (see '9.1.5
Writing a Client in Java' and '7.3 Interoperable Naming Service' in the
Orber User's Guide).

A few examples, let's start with accessing objects directly from the

"Full version":

"Short hand":
Default is iiop-protocol, IIOP-1.0 and "NameService". But, to be on the
safe side I guess it's better to use the full version.

If you want to access the local NameService you can write:

Naturally you can supply a longer path (assuming that the 'kind'-field in
the NameComponent == ""; see '7.3.3 corbaname' in the User's Guide):

You can also just lookup the NameService reference:

Currently Orber only allows "NameService" as key.

See also CosNaming_NamingContextExt in the reference manual.

Also explore the features which the configuration parameters 'orbInitRef'
and 'orbDefaultInitRef' supplies ('5.2 Configuration' in the User's