Binaries in R8

James Hague jamesh@REDACTED
Thu May 31 17:09:15 CEST 2001

Does anyone on the Erlang team know what's changing--if anything--in
relation to binaries for R8?  Mostly I'm hoping to see some real support for
little-endian matching, as the "/little" qualifier is fairly ambiguous
and/or broken (i.e. what does it mean to say that a bitfield is little
endian, if you can't specify that an entire word is little endian?).
Several times now I've been wanting to write code to pick apart and create
binary files, but if those files are little endian internally, then it is
much more difficult.  Binaries are so beautiful otherwise!

James