Pitiful benchmark performance

Erik.Johansson Erik.Johansson@REDACTED
Mon Jun 11 17:59:55 CEST 2001

> Sean Hinde wrote:
> >
> > Now I know that benchmarks are not representative etc etc but they do
> > encapsulate quite a few common idioms and there shouldn't be
> > a good reason
> > for Erlang to do so badly. Maybe the HIPE guys can use (are
> > using?) these in
> > their investigations into optimal GC schemes etc for R8?

I think there are problems with the benchmark that casues the huge need of memory, and it is not certain that a bettter GC would make the problem go away. Still all benchmarks are interesting to us so we might steal some of them...

A nice thing though is that Erlang behaves quite well on some benchmarks, for example nested loops, where it is one of the fastest non-natively compiled systems. (And HiPE is more than 6 times faster than BEAM on this benchmark putting Erlang in the ballpark of the statically typed smlnj.)

/Erik