HowTo increase FTP-Open timeout (ehost error)

Sean Hinde Sean.Hinde@REDACTED
Mon Jul 16 14:13:03 CEST 2001

Hi,

> I'm using the FTP-Module to open 32 ftp conections with 32
> mobiles. Sometimes I see an "ehost" error when I try to open
> a connection. The problem is that it takes sometimes more
> than 60secs to open a connection.
>
> Does somebody know how to increase the timer for this ehost-error?

The short answer is that it is not possible. It appears to be hard coded as

-define(OPEN_TIMEOUT,60*1000). in ftp.erl

This is used directly in the gen_tcp:connect/4 call so it is not
configurable at runtime.

Your options are:

* Change the -define and recompile

* Modify ftp.erl to make it a configureable parameter..

* Ask Ericsson to change it in the next patch release.

If you fancy having a go at making it configurable you always have the
option to send it to erlang-maintainers@REDACTED requesting that they
include your changes.

Rgds,
Sean