"Cleaning" the message queue

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu@REDACTED
Fri Jul 13 17:12:32 CEST 2001

Hi all,

I have an application where processes get messages posted quite often, in a
periodical fashion. Sometimes they don't have time to finish processing one
message before another drops in, so the message queue grows longer and
longer.

What I'd want is that in case there are several such messages waiting, only
the latest shall be processed, while the rest shall be dumped. (The messages
are "virtual clock ticks")

I tried some schemes of setting up things, but none worked. It may be
supposed that there will only be one kind of messages in the queue.

What am I missing? Maybe there is another way to assure many processes get
common virtual time information? Where should I look?

Thanks in advance,
Vlad