Q: Adding nodes to an Mnesia db - the best way?

Niclas Eklund nick@REDACTED
Fri Jul 13 15:27:06 CEST 2001

Hello!

You do not mention that you start the new node (the one you intend to add)
using extra_db_nodes:

shell> erl -mnesia extra_db_nodes NodeList -name/-sname XX

Might this be your problem?!

/Nick

Example (you can run this from any node in the mnesia-domain):

-define(MyTableList, [person, company, ..]).

add_node(Node, StorageType) when atom(Node), atom(StorageType)  ->
    case rpc:call(Node, mnesia, system_info, [is_running]) of
	{badrpc, Reason} ->
            %% To avoid users doing something they shouldn't ;-)
	    exit("Target node not available");
	yes ->
            copy_tables(?MyTableList, Node, StorageType);
	no ->
	    exit("Mnesia not started on target node")
    end.

copy_tables([], _, _) ->
    ok;
copy_tables([T|Trest], Node, StorageType) ->
    case mnesia:add_table_copy(T, Node, StorageType) of
	{atomic, ok} ->
	    copy_tables(Trest, Node, StorageType);
	_ ->
	    exit("Unable to copy table(s).")