shared memory in Erlang

Andrew Wallace andrew@REDACTED
Tue Jan 30 23:35:08 CET 2001

David Gould wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 09:12:44PM +0100, Karel Van Oudheusden wrote:
> > Hello,
> >

> > Are there Erlang compilers that support shared memory between processes?
> >
> > I do not really understand how database applications or network
> > applications can be implemented in Erlang efficiently without some kind
> > of form of shared memory.  Only providing message passing does not seem
> > to be a good choice for these kind of applications.
>
> Erlang has a very strong process and communication model. I wonder what
> shared memory support between processes would look like in Erlang?

Karel might be talking about internal sharing memory between processes
which I find hard to picture in Erlang, ets tables maybe?

We've also thought about implementing shared memory for communication
between Erlang and the rest of the world.  If the external (non-Erlang)
stuff wrote to the shared memory buffer and Erlang could read from it
when it needed the data. (Or it could go the other way around.)

> I mean,
> what would the language need in terms of syntax and semantics to support it?

Nothing special, some understanding of normal data structures.  It
wouldn't have to  be too complicated.

Cheers, Andrew