shared memory in Erlang

David Gould dg@REDACTED
Tue Jan 30 22:33:23 CET 2001

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 09:12:44PM +0100, Karel Van Oudheusden wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Are there Erlang compilers that support shared memory between processes?
>
> I do not really understand how database applications or network
> applications can be implemented in Erlang efficiently without some kind
> of form of shared memory.  Only providing message passing does not seem
> to be a good choice for these kind of applications.

Erlang has a very strong process and communication model. I wonder what
shared memory support between processes would look like in Erlang? I mean,
what would the language need in terms of syntax and semantics to support it?

I am having trouble picturing it fitting in without a great deal of
collateral damage...

Or do you mean, message passing implemented transparently by means of a
shared memory?

> Comparing Java with Erlang, I must conclude that Erlang is my first
> choice except for this very important memory issue!

But I certainly would not want to see Erlang become more like Java!

-dg

--
David Gould                                                 dg@REDACTED
SuSE, Inc.,  580 2cd St. #210,  Oakland, CA 94607          510.628.3380