resolv.conf

Shawn Pearce spearce@REDACTED
Mon Jan 15 01:41:02 CET 2001

Daniel Neri <dne@REDACTED> scrawled:
> Shawn Pearce <spearce@REDACTED> writes:
>
> > I discovered that the following resolve.conf does not work for an
> > erlang node and will cause all namserver lookups to fail because there
> > are no nameservers registered in the node:
> >
> > 	search cs.rpi.edu rpi.edu
> > 	nameserver 128.113.18.1 ns.cs.rpi.edu
>
> At least according to the resolv.conf manpage on my BSD system, that
> second line is not valid -- you need to use plain IP addresses. What
> does your manual page say?

I'm using RedHat Linux 6.2.  (I know, first mistake is using Linux.)
Apparently, my manual page does not exist for resolve.conf(5).  However,
resolver(5), taken right from the BIND distribution says nothing of this
syntax.

Regardless of it being valid or not, my line quoted above works just
fine for every application on RedHat Linux (at least version 6.2)
except Erlang.  (Hence the post to this list.)  Now since my file was
broken, I fixed it, but I thought that since I wasted 8 hours looking
for this problem I might at least let others know about it and maybe
save them the time of discovering that their resolv.conf is also
``broken''.

Perhaps a more liberal parser may be in order in Erlang's inet library
as almost everything else on Linux seems to ignore the name of the
nameserver on the nameserver line.

--
Shawn.

  ``If this had been a real