Erlang Open Internet Platform

Ulf Wiger etxuwig@REDACTED
Sat Feb 17 23:03:18 CET 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, James Hague wrote:

>When I first ran across the functional language Hope in 1985, I
>remember thinking "This is cool, but you sure can't do much in
>640K."  Now I have no idea what to do with all the speed of a 300MHz
>Pentium II, and that's pretty bottom of the line as far as current
>consumer machines go. Makes me wonder how things look from the
>perspective of someone who was using Erlang back when Ericsson was
>EXU in 1993).

My first Erlang environment back in '92-93 was Erlang for MS-DOS (!)
on a 20 MHz 386. I also played with a Mac port on my Mac IIx -- but
that one crashed so much it wasn't useable. I was full of expectations
when I came back to the US with Erlang compiled for the Alpha (we had
6 of them on loan from DEC for a while up in Alaska; they generated so
much heat that we didn't need any other heating in the house -- and
this was February.)... only to find that DEC had recalled the loaners.

So I went out and bought a HP 7000 (36MHz) and bought ($1000) an
Erlang license. This was the first time I could actually do
something useful with it. This was '94, I think.

I'm glad I stuck with it, though. (:

/Uffe
--
Ulf Wiger                                    tfn: +46  8 719 81 95
Senior System Architect                      mob: +46 70 519 81 95