List append buglet...?

Mickael Remond mickael.remond@REDACTED
Mon Feb 5 14:38:16 CET 2001

On Mon, 05 Feb 2001, Robert Virding wrote:

> Yes, it is consistent, but whether it is the wanted behaviour is another
> question.  This definition of lists is the same as in Lisp and Prolog
> which were languages which strongly influenced the development Erlang.
> It would be difficult to change today as a change would have to be made
> to all list construction not just for append.  Otherwise how would you
> efficiently handle cases like:
>
> 	List ++ [a|b]
>
> Deep-checking the second argument is not really feasible.

Ok.
Thank you for helping us to understand the behaviour of the append function.
I did not think about linking that to the 'cons' behaviour and your answer is
convincing: this is how the system is working and not a misbehaviour.

Thank you.

--
   Mickaël Rémond                    tel :      (33)1.44.42.00.00
   Chef de projet                    mob :      (33)6.60.22.22.16