When to free the desc in a multithreaded driver

Sean Hinde Sean.Hinde@REDACTED
Mon Aug 20 21:07:20 CEST 2001

Hi,

Looking at the file driver, efile_drv.c, I can't quite determine when the
port descriptor gets freed.

In the file_stop() callback, which I have attached below, the desc gets
freed if the fd is zero or the file is compressed, but if the fd is not zero
then an invoke_close callback is scheduled. I can't then see anywhere else
that the desc gets freed.

Two questions arise:

1. If the driver stop callback invokes a function in a thread when should
the descriptor be freed?

2. Depending on the answer to 1, is there therefore a memory leak in
efile_drv?

Thanks,
Sean

static int file_stop(desc)
file_descriptor* desc;
{
    int fd = desc->fd;

    if (desc->flags & EFILE_COMPRESSED) {
	gzclose((gzFile)fd);
    } else if (fd >= 0) {
#if 0
	efile_closefile(fd);
#else
/* Threaded close */
    {
	struct t_data *d = sys_alloc(sizeof(struct t_data));
	d->fd = fd;
	d->command = FILE_CLOSE;
	DRIVER_ASYNC(2, desc, KEY, invoke_close, (void *) d,
		     free_data);
	return 0;
    }
#endif