R7A : Segmentation fault

Raimo Niskanen raimo@REDACTED
Wed Sep 20 13:30:27 CEST 2000

Sorry about confusing You. We think we have found the error, it's in the
Erlang beam emulator. It was not related to the /tmp directory, I hacked
Your code wrong so the error never occured.

In fact the segmentation fault shows up when calling
file:list_dir('directory') on any diretory containing 999 files or more.
(for Debian Linux 2.2)

This is caused by a function efile_drv.c that happened to become
recursive when we tried to introduce threaded I/O (and now just run one
thread), so the stack became exhausted at 999 files. This should happen
on all versions of Unix, not just Debian Linux 2.2, the question is just
for how many files.

We are working on the problem.

/ Raimo Niskanen, Erlang/OTP