R7A : Segmentation fault

Raimo Niskanen raimo@REDACTED
Wed Sep 20 10:50:48 CEST 2000

Mickael Remond wrote:
> Here is my session:
>
>  $ uname -a
>  Linux western 2.2.15 #1 ven jun 9 14:05:59 CEST 2000 i686 unknown
>
>  $ ./bin/erl
>  Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.0 [source]
>
>  Eshell V5.0  (abort with ^G)
>  1> c(bugreport).
>  {ok,bugreport}
>  2> bugreport:loop(1004).
>
> Ends by
>
> Created file : 995  -  file:list_dir length : 995
> Created file : 996  -  file:list_dir length : 996
> Created file : 997  -  file:list_dir length : 997
> Created file : 998  -  file:list_dir length : 998
> Created file : 999  -  Erreur de segmentation
>
> Any idea ?
>
> --
> Mickaël Rémond          -  mickael.remond@REDACTED
>                         -  http://IDEALX.com
>                         -  01 44 42 00 38

I have a Debian 2.2 laptop and can reproduce your fault, just like You.

I hacked your code to not write at /tmp/test, but on $CWD/test (which is
~/tmp/test) and then there is no problem.

One suggestion is that there is something fishy about the /tmp
directory. If it lies in virtual memory or is treated specially in any
way (special filesystem, number of allowed inodes, ...) this may be the
reason, and I am not enough Linux guru to know, but I know that one
shall not be suprised to find that the /tmp directory has size
limitations in some way or another.

/ Raimo Niskanen, Erlang/OTP