Suggestion: New table iterators

Bjorn Gustavsson <>
Thu Oct 19 14:03:37 CEST 2000

In the first version of the fold function, which we plan to release as
a patch for R7B, we will just encapsulate existing functionality in an
iterator. We will use safe_fixtable / fixtable, but we will not add any new
locking mechanims to ets or dets.

Sean Hinde <> writes:

> I'd like to add my support for iterators over ets/dets/mnesia.
> At the moment writing a safe iterator over an mnesia table is not obvious if
> you want to also have concurrent updates. Apart from anything else there
> appears to be no guarantee that a table will not be re-hashed during the
> iteration - even in a transaction.
> If you want to delete stuff during the iteration it is even less obvious how
> to do this safely and simply. Building a list of stuff to be deleted later
> can chew up masses of memory..
> Sean
> This email (including attachments) is confidential.  If you have received
> this email in error please notify the sender immediately and delete this
> email from your system without copying or disseminating it or placing any
> reliance upon its contents.  We cannot accept liability for any breaches of
> confidence arising through use of email.  Any opinions expressed in this
> email (including attachments) are those of the author and do not necessarily
> reflect our opinions.  We will not accept responsibility for any commitments
> made by our employees outside the scope of our business.  We do not warrant
> the accuracy or completeness of such information.

Björn Gustavsson            Ericsson Utvecklings AB
			    BOX 1505
+46 8 727 56 87 	    125 25 Älvsjö