Algorithmic lists

Andy with Recycled Electrons aba3600@REDACTED
Mon Oct 16 23:18:56 CEST 2000

Let me clarify...

Accessing a list is a simple, real-time operation.

Accessing a Lazy List may mean accessing a megapixel image from Hong Kong,
where it is ray traced in true color based on several dozen light
sources.

In other words, there would be no gurantee of ANY timing constraints.  As
long as the "real time" system realizes this, everyone is happy.

Also, is there a way to overload operators (not function calls) in Erlang?
I'd love to overload "+" or "-" for a specific kind of input, so that a
call is made to my function.  The data units I am passing in are 3-element
tuples right now, but I can change that.

I.E., In the second half of this eMail I am searching for a way to define
my own data type in Erlang and overload existing operators based on it.
Does anyone have an example?

Andy
Recycled Electrons

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Andy with Recycled Electrons wrote:

> Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 14:43:57 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Andy with Recycled Electrons <aba3600@REDACTED>
> To: erlang-questions@REDACTED
> Subject: Re: Algorithmic lists
>
> Tell me if I'm wrong, but lazxy evaluation would screw up Real Time,
> right?
>
> Andy
> Recycled Electrons
>
> > > We (a few lunatics at AXD 301) would like to see the lists module
> > > support an alternative formulation of lists.
> >
> > They are indeed elegant, and Joe was correct - they're called lazy lists,
> > and should be implemented using zero-argument funs. To give a type
> > declaration of sorts:
> >
> > 	LazyList :: [] | [term() | fun() -> LazyList]
> >
> > Writing a module 'lazy_lists' should be a doddle. In fact, I might do it
> > myself.
> >
> > 	/Richard Carlsson
> >

> > Richard Carlsson (richardc@REDACTED)   (This space intentionally left blank.)
> > E-mail: Richard.Carlsson@REDACTED	WWW: http://www.csd.uu.se/~richardc/