Python in Erlang

Alexis Le-Quoc alexis@REDACTED
Tue Nov 14 17:30:36 CET 2000

Mickael Remond wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, sgelkins@REDACTED wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > My manager is attracted to Python.  Has anyone ever tried
> > embedding it in Erlang?  python:eval("whatever") or some
> > such thing?  I'd be interested in hearing any experience
> > reports.
>
> You can find a proof of concept binding at :
>
>   http://csmctmto.interpoint.net/didx/python_erlang.html
>
> We tried this binding but it was not sufficent for our need and is difficult
> to build and to use.
>
> Finally, we are just made a specific API to call our Erlang from Python via socket
> communication. This approach is working well for us. The datatype are very
> similar and are easy to map, so the datatype conversion is ok.
>
> If someone is interested, we might clean up our code, make it more generic and
> release it.
>
> --
> Mickaël Rémond          -  mickael.remond@REDACTED
>                         -  http://IDEALX.com
>                         -  +33 (1) 44 42 00 38

Greetings,

I've spent some time trying to build python_erlang and I can't say I
made any significant progress (granted I did not look into SWIG deep
enough). The problem I need to solve is to interface a python server
with some erlang code and I'm thinking of using sockets to work around
the difficulty of building the binding. If you've already written some
code to handle that and if you're willing to publish it, I think that's
great; I'm interested.

I was also wondering whether there existed a "standard" way of managing
non-erlang nodes (C-node, Java nodes or Python nodes), i.e. a protocol
to start and stop them, so as to integrate them into a reliable
architecture of nodes.

Yours,
--
Alexis Le-Quoc