epmd

Richard Barrett R.Barrett@REDACTED
Fri May 26 15:23:52 CEST 2000

I am a newcomer to erlang and in my spare time trying to learn about
it. I've got a problem with the the process monitor daemon, epmd,
which may be due to my ignorance. It goes as follows:

Whenever I start an erlang process using erl -name ..., another copy
of epmd is also created. This is regardless of whether an instance of
epmd is already running as a a result of my having run it explicitly
from the command line or previously started another instance of erl.
I've checked using netstat and lsof and all these instances of epmd
are trying to listen on port 4369.

Having started multiple instances of erl from different terminal
windows, it appears that only the epmd process started by the most
recently executed erl command will respond to an epmd -names command
and it only reports knowing the name of the erl process that invoked
it. Killing the most recent epmd will "expose" the "prior" invocation
of epmd which still only reports the name of the erl process that ran
it, and is equally ignorant of the names any other erl processes that
are running.

Closing down an erl process does not lead to the corresponding epmd
process terminating. Over a period of time this leaves growing
numbers of epmd process in the system. It also leads to confusion in
inter-erl-process communications and asymmetry in what inter-process
communication can be performed.

This arrangement is not what I'd expected. I had assumed that once
there was an instance of epmd in the system subsequent invocations of
erl would communicate with that epmd process rather than invoking
another. I'd also assumed the single epmd would report all of the
named erl process in the system.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or suggest where I might look
in the documentation or source for a solution to this.

I am running erlang installed from erlang_otp-R6B-4.i386.rpm under
Suse 6.2 Linux.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Richard Barrett, PostPoint 27,         e-mail:r.barrett@REDACTED
Fujitsu Telecommunications Europe Ltd,      tel: (44) 121 717 6337
Solihull Parkway, Birmingham Business Park, B37 7YU, England
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin, 1759