gen_udp looses datagrams

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Thu May 18 18:41:43 CEST 2000

Luke writes:
}  "Vance Shipley" <vances@REDACTED> writes:
}
}  > We're finding that when we have an active UDP socket
}  > we can, and do, loose incoming datagrams.  At times
}  > we will receive only the latter of two packets sent
}  > immediately after one another.  Why would this be?
}
}  Datagrams are unreliable by nature. They're really low-level, just IP
}  packets annotated with port numbers afaik - they're not guaranteed to
}  arrive, and may arrive out of order. For reliability you need to come
}  up with some sort of scheme to compensate for lost or reordered
}  packets, or use TCP.

While I completely understand this I very much doubt that it is the
issue here.  The communication is across a LAN and the other observation
is that it is only the first packet which is lost on every occasion
we have seen.

	-Vance