Emulator stopping during mnesia writes

Sean Hinde Sean.Hinde@REDACTED
Wed May 10 18:33:08 CEST 2000

Thanks Scott,

> If indeed the disk/disks storing the file system with the mnesia logs
> is too busy, the solutions are few: software-based striping across
> multiple disk drives, hardware-based striping across multiple disk
> drives, solid state disk drives, or algorithmic changes to reduce I/O
> workload.  The last may be more difficult to do than the former
> three.  :-)

I am hoping that there may be some fix in the future where disk i/o is
farmed off to a separate thread/threads within the emulator. Then if i/o
blocks it will not stop servicing other requests which are for RAM based
data. There is a rumour something like this MAY be in R7...

One possible solution I am looking at is to have a set of nodes with
disc_only_copies which just hold the persistent data, and a separate set of
nodes with ram_copies to service the database reads. Other suggestions
welcome.

Sean