Tcl/Tk

Per Bohlin per.bohlin@REDACTED
Tue Mar 28 10:04:05 CEST 2000

Gordon Beaton wrote:

> On 28 Mar 2000 06:39:24 GMT, Ljung Magnus wrote:
> > I believe the theory of static linking is right on the money. I
> > found a reference to a simular problem using shared libraries in
> > Tcl.
> >
> > Your suggestion to recompile the Erlang libraries to shared ones
> > sounds like the way forward to make the solution more seamless.
>
> The Erlang libraries are already compiled using -fPIC so no
> recompilation should be necessary. You can extract the object files
> and make a shared library from them directly if that is what you want
> to do.

I did not know that. Sorry.
I thought that linking with -l when making a shared library
only meant to put information to the run-time linker about further
run-time
linking. I had never thought about linking in position independent code
from a static archive.

If that is possible, I agree; the order of the things when compiling and
linking is very important.

> However I think the original problem can be solved using Per
> Hedeland's suggestion earlier in this thread. What does 'nm app.so'
> report?

And what does ldd app.so say?

> /gordon
>
> --