Distributed applications

Sean Hinde Sean.Hinde@REDACTED
Thu Mar 9 12:23:35 CET 2000

Hi all,

I have a very simple application containing a single locally registered
gen_server which I want to make distributed in the splendidly described
manner of Sam Tardieu for his power outages example.

I've set up the 'distributed' kernel parameter with my app name and node
names as per the example and set the start_phases to [] in my .app file:

{distributed, [{backup, [{test1@REDACTED, {test2@REDACTED, test3@REDACTED}]}]}

All files are generated using the standard skeletons in the emacs-mode with
4.9.1.

If I start with nodes 2 and 3, application:start(backup) hangs on both.
The app then starts fine on test1, but application:start(backup) remains
hung on nodes 2 and 3.

Restarting various nodes means I can get the application fully running on
all nodes at once, which I am not at all sure is the idea of this - is it?

Do I need to do stuff with start phases or having different behaviour in the
application file for normal and takeover etc for this simple locally
registered example? Something else?

Any and all help much appreciated.

Regards,
Sean