Distribution by another means

Sean Hinde Sean.Hinde@REDACTED
Tue Jun 13 19:33:46 CEST 2000

Martin,

>   gen_tcp:send(Sock, term_to_binary({apply, M, F, A}))
>
> [You might have to take care of which node is responsible for
> connecting (simple alg: smallest node name), or handle simultanoeus
> connects.]

I like this, I wish I'd thought of it ;-) I guess using this with the inets
{packet, 2} socket option (which as far as I can tell guarantees that a
single receive returns the whole packet) could well be the basis of the
simplest rpc ever.

On the other hand this still means that I have to write the tcp client and
server implementations myself which though not that hard is significant. The
advantage I see of CORBA is that once I have figured out how to use the
beast it takes care of maintaining the connections, mapping requests and
replies etc...

Much more fun to do your own though. I'll post if I get something together
(possibly based on pico - thanks for the tip Ulf. BTW I'd definitely be
interested in seeing a good real example of CORBA usage if you find the time
:-)

BR,
Sean