Hal Snyder <>
Mon Jul 10 03:41:47 CEST 2000

A host is supposed to join an Erlang cluster on boot. Do we have to
give it an explicit IP address or FQDN of some other host(s) in the

We're considering a multicast group address for this purpose. But
maybe there's already a solution and I just haven't found it in the

What's done with Real Life Erlang apps to get nodes to join up?

Ideally isn't a cluster a fluid thing, without hard-coded physical
node assignments?

[Load balancing/failover have such nice chicken-and-egg problems.]