Mnesia and Ericsson NDB

Bjarne Däcker bjarne@REDACTED
Tue Dec 26 14:06:00 CET 2000

Hello

> I have read a few comments about Ericsson NDB (Network DataBase) and a lot of
> the database characteristics are already present in Mnesia (The only missing
> point might be: huge data volumes).
>
> Is there any relationship with Mnesia ?

No. It is a completely separate development
starting from work on databases in the
AXE 10 world.

> If not, is Mnesia threaten by Ericsson commitment to NDB ? Does someone know
> why Mnesia was not considered as a good basis for the NDB tool ?

In a big company there are always lots of
separate independent developments going on.
Occasionally management jumps in and tries
to coordinate and the effect is more like
when a human mucks around with a stick in
an ant-heap.

The NDB development did not start by somebody
trying to solve a database problem and then
looked at different possible solutions. It
started by somebody doing a PhD thesis in the
database field and then got some innovation
capital to try to market it.

Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year
to all Erlang fans !

Bjarne